The Facade – of the the former Palais de la Porte Doree-
HDV, 10 min, Paris, 2011
The Palais de la Porte Dorée was opened in 1931 after 18 months of construction on the occasion of the Paris Colonial Exhibition.The bas-relief on the facade, designed by Alfred Janniot, illustrates life in the former overseas territories of the French colonial power, as it corresponded to the official representation of the time.
It is the only building of the exhibition which remained after the event as a Musée des colonies. The name of the museum has been changed in 1935 in Musée de la France d'Outre-mer and finally, in the wake of decolonization, in Musée des Arts d'Afrique et d'Océanie (from 1990: Musée national des Arts d'Afrique et d'Océanie) renamed.
The collection of African and Oceanic art have been integrated since 2002 into the newly established Musée Branly. Since 2007, the Cité nationale de l'histoire de l'immigration is in the Palais de la Porte Dorée.